Tag Archives: distressed

Small Book Shelf Re-Do

I was recently given this little bookshelf that was made by a family member in the early 50s in High School shop class.


It had since been painted gold. Pictured above after I started removing some of the gold finish.

I gave the exterior a coat each of 2 shades of green chalk paint that I mixed up. The interior received chalkboard paint as that was the only black I had on hand. I then sanded the exterior down to distress it.

Next using Modpodge I decoupaged a map that I cut out of The Bugle (a publication by the Brooks bicycle saddle company).

I painted a black border around the map and sanded it slightly. Finally I covered the exterior with several coats of Minwax Polycrylic.


The piece currently sits in our basement “poker room”.

Dresser To Sofa Cabinet Re-do

We’d been looking for a piece of furniture to put behind our Sofa in the “big room” in the basement to replace a folding table and chairs. The folding table was was used frequently for crafts, puzzles etc… but looked tacky. Our original intent was to replace it with some other type of table even if it required me making something. Then we had the opportunity to get this old dresser for free so we nixed the plan for the table and decided to go with the dresser.

Here it is after bringing it home.

We wanted to give it a distressed paint look so I started by sanding off the finish and in some places through the finish and stain to the bare wood. I then primed the top and sides which were some kind of veneer.

Next I applied an Olympic paint in the color of “Safe Harbor”.

Once the paint dried I sanded it again, heavily on the edges and down to the bare wood. I started to go over it with a chocolate glaze but got impatient waiting for the glaze to dry/soak in so I switched to a Minwax mahogany stain and covered the entire dresser. I let the stain sit longer on the bare wood than I did the painted areas before wiping it off. For a clear coat I applied a couple coats of Minwax water based Polycrylic. The finishing touch was new knobs and pulls.

Painted Poker Table


For a year or so our “poker room” was used as a bedroom while we had family living with us. We’re just now getting around to changing it back. Our original card table was made by a friend and myself and served us well over the years but was in need of some tlc. It’s also really too big for the little room so we thought we’d retire it and look for something smaller.
We found the above table at a Goodwill store.

After sanding the table I applied a primer.

I painted a base coat color of “Frivolous” blue and then sanded down to the primer and wood on some of the table to and leg edges.

Applying a chocolate glaze.


Finished table. Although you can’t tell in the photo it does have a slightly distressed look to it. The chairs which fit the table nicely were given to us by a relative.

Family Furniture


Pictured are furniture that I was recently given that belonged to a family member. The NightStand and Book Shelf were made in High School shop class nearly 60 years ago by an Uncle. The folding table “tv tray” I believe was made by a family friend. In the photo I have the drawer removed from the night stand and have already started removing the finish.


I decided to give the night stand a distressed painted finish. Some how we acquired several containers of Sherwin Williams sample paint. I picked one (Privilege Green) and gave the nightstand a couple coats with it. I then sanded through the paint to bare wood in some places. I hit the bare spots with a Minwax oak stain. I then gave everything a coat of Minwax water based clear.


The piece is currently in our basement “poker room”.

TV – Media Cabinet

We’ve been needing a cabinet for our TV in the basement. Couldn’t find anything new at the stores that we liked or could afford. At an antique store we spotted an old buffet from late 50s early 60s (I’m guessing). The price was right so we brought it home and I gave it a make over to give it a distressed paint look. My first time doing something like this.

As it sat in the antique store.

After sanding off the old worn finish and applying a grey base coat.

I then painted it green, sanded through some spots and applied a light wood stain over the sanded spots.

Finished with a clear coat.

Not the best job at distressing but good enough.